Wongongera Cottage

Built in the 1880’s this cottage was the home of Mr & Mrs Jas Rider from 1888-1889 ( Mrs Rider was born on Chinchilla Station in 1863, the daughter of Peter McGregor, who worked the station . she married Jas Rider in 1888 in Dalby) The lessee of the day was J D Macansh and Wongongera was the a cattle station .

The one hundred and twenty nine year old cottage was a gift to the museum by Alf Langton. Members of the Rotary Club , helped by Charles Achilles, dismantled and bought the cottage to the museum. It was reconstructed by Rotary Club and the Historical Society .

The timber is mostly ironbark and cypress pine , but the very large slabs (some wider than 12 inches) were hewn from a rather rare timber, aboriginal name “budgeroo” the botanical name is Lyscarpus angustifolius

 It is clamed this tree can grow to a greater age than the olderst ironbark, and these grow to 500 years old . Budgeroo grows in the vicinity of Wongongera